Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Marat Safin - Rogers Cup (Toronto) 08





It was early in the morning at the airport in Toronto when my friend and I were ready to board to a jet liner to Cincinnati after having enjoyed Canadian Open during the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I told my friend that I was going to finish my coffee before boarding, so she was already ahead of the line. When I finished my coffee, I saw someone who looked familiar...Robby Ginepri look-alike? Then, I glanced next to him who was tall and fantastic looking - then I knew it was not a look-alike of Robbi but it was a real Robby and Marat Safin!! My friend Valerie is a die hard Marat fan next to Rafael Nadal, so I ran to her and said that do not panic but turn around slowly and see who she saw. Her jaws dropped and she was speachless for a moment. It was Marat and Robby . How in the world is the US Open champion flying with us???

I wished Robby good luck but he seemed just stunned that anyone even recognized him. He was at the first seat from the entrance.

Marat had a backpack that he needed to put in the overhead compartment. The jet was so small that I could not pass by him while Marat was struggling to put his bag away. Marat was easily reaching the ceiling of the jet, so he actually had to bend down to put the bag in the compartment. I was patiently waiting for him to finish right behind him. After he put his bag away and had just sat down, my eyes (standing) were at the same level as his eyes (sitting). I naturally wished him good luck in Cinci. He smiled and thanked me.

There was one more Tennis star on board! Dimtry Tursnov just boaded right before the take off. All passengers applauded but it was not because he was Dimtry, but he made it before the take off. Nobody except my friend Valerie and myself seemed to know of Marat, Robbi, or Dimtry! Unforgivable fact from the standpoint of Tennis fans.

My seat was only 4 rows behind Marat's. He put his head against the window and had slept almost all the way through to Cincinnati. He did not take any drink or snack offers.

When we landed in Cinci, we actually walked side by side with Marat and his agent. He kindely paused for a photo with Valerie having chosen a nice background in the airport. I asked him who the first opponent was in Cinci. He said, "well, I actually don't know...do you (to his agent) ?" His agent said, "I think it is Andy Murray." I said, "Marat, whoever your opponent is, you will do well. You are a GREAT tennis player!" He had a shy smile and thanked me sincerely. He did not make a big deal out of the fact he is a huge tennis star. He was just like a man next door all the time in our encounter.

His fist opponent in Cinci was actually his friend Dimtry. Marat lost badly without really giving a fight.

No comments: